Pages

6.25.2011

popo sold!

Last week I took part in the Queens Art Express,  which is a four day all-out art festival along the 7, N, Q, and R trains in Queens. There were art exhibits, performances, etc, etc... very cool stuff going on.




I sold the original painting "POPO", which is totally inspired the pure joy of bike riding. 


According to the urban dictionary, the word "popo" means a police officer, especially ones that rides bikes. The origin comes California from the late 80's, and the police would ride around certain beaches in groups of two. (Ironically I did not know this detail as I was making the painting), but I definitely take it upon myself to patrol the "hood" on my bike! Ha! This is the only painting where I used myself as the model form head to toe. Each of the flowers has a symbolic meaning that relates to happiness and good memories. And yes, that is a bunny drinking a red bull, with Smurfette and an Austrian helmet. Here are some detail views:


Congratulations and thank you to the collector! I will miss this one a bit, BUT I still have the miniature prints (decoupaged on wood, and for sale).